Comprehensive single-family home refurbishments are made when the appearance or design of the home needs to be modified, expanded or updated or when it is necessary to renew obsolete facilities and woodwork, especially the exterior ones. There are many reasons to carry them out, such as space needs, aesthetics or functionality. So, when is it necessary to make a refurbishment? What kind of comprehensive refurbishment can be carried out? What aspects should be taken into account when making a comprehensive refurbishment? Which architecture firm for comprehensive refurbishment should I choose? These are some of the doubts that we are going to try to clarify in this article.
WHEN SHOULD A COMPREHENSIVE REFURBISHMENT BE CARRIED OUT? DECLARATION OF INTENT
Needs change and it is logical that we feel the need for our home to evolve with us. In many cases, the reason is that its inhabitants change, either due to enlargement or the arrival of a disabled relative or simply because it has been bought recently and we want to adapt the home to the needs of new residents. In all these cases, a comprehensive refurbishment may be the solution.
Other times, they may be more basic reasons such as maintenance or rehabilitation. From certain years of age, the houses begin to present some pathologies or deficiencies from the point of view of comfort. Changing plumbing and electrical installation is one of the most common refurbishments in homes more than 20 years old. This type of comprehensive refurbishment is usually a great opportunity to make the house more energy efficient, if we complement it with a change of insulation and new exterior woodwork.
Security is another major reason for a comprehensive refurbishment. Domotics can help in this and other issues, ensuring security through wireless alarms to control access or systems that allow actions such as cutting a stopcock, turning on and off heating and air conditioning or warn us if there is a fire. Smart homes have become a trend and current comprehensive reforms often take into account adapting homes to these new technologies. Among many of its advantages are energy savings or the variety of control that currently exists in the market and covers aspects such as energy, security, and comfort.
Of course, aesthetics is also one of the major protagonists of comprehensive refurbishment. Smart homes have become a trend and current comprehensive reforms often take into account adapting homes to these new technologies. Among many of its advantages are energy savings or the variety of control that currently exists in the market and covers aspects such as energy, security, and comfort.
Of course, aesthetics is also one of the major protagonists of comprehensive refurbishments. The combination of current trends and the taste of the owners are amalgamated to find the final solution, the hand of the architect who guides and advises them.
Having clear reasons and the main aspects to be refurbished, will open the way for planning. At this phase, it is important to have experts who can advise us and indicate the priorities of the project. The refurbishment will largely depend on the possibilities of the property, its space in general and its characteristics. However, there are many aspects with which a good work of integral refurbishment manages to rehabilitate and completely change the appearance of a house.
TYPES OF COMPREHENSIVE REFURBISHMENTS
There are many ways to refurbish a home. Here are the 4 main types of comprehensive refurbishments:
- Conservative: In this type of refurbishment, elements of the original design are preserved, such as the building structure or architectural elements. This type of reform goes beyond a decorative aspect and it is common to combine styles, such as modern decoration with antique accessories.
- Innovative: It is the one that has as protagonist to apply to the house the possibilities of the technological and domotics world.
- Minimalist: It is about resorting to a simpler style. Modernity and classicism merge to provide a home with spaces that transmit elegance without too many frills or extravagances.
- Vintage: It is a type of integral refurbishment that combines classic styles and periods. For this purpose, pieces that have been restored, brick walls and the use of materials and accessories that bring another era to life are used.
ESSENTIAL ASPECTS IN A COMPREHENSIVE REFURBISHMENT
In addition to the aesthetic aspect, a comprehensive refurbishment must include the following essential aspects:
- Thermal-acoustic insulation: provides comfort to the home and minimizes consumption.
- – Modernization of electricity, plumbing and sanitation installations: as mentioned above, if it is a maintenance refurbishment, it is necessary to modernize the electrical system and pipes of the house to optimize its service. From 10 years old, it is an aspect to be assessed.
- – Safety: safety can be improved in many ways. From alarm systems and access controls to replacing conventional doors with armored ones or installing self-locking blinds.
- – Quality of materials: Taking advantage of an integral refurbishment, materials of the necessary quality must be incorporated to provide resistance and durability.
CHOOSING THE ARCHITECTURAL FIRM FOR COMPREHENSIVE REFURBISHMENTS
To plan a refurbishment is to translate the ideas and needs of a client into a viable project. Therefore, it is important to choose a good architectural firm with experience in advising on comprehensive refurbishments.
It is necessary to make sure to hire a group of qualified professionals who advise and manage the project integrally and work according to the needs and expectations of the user, transmitting security and responsibility.
ARQUIFACH: ARCHITECTURAL FIRM IN MORAIRA, SPECIALIZED IN COMPREHENSIVE REFURBISHMENTS
If you are thinking of refurbishing your home, contact Arquifach, Alicante architectural firm. It has a great team with more than 40 years of experience.